Nov 28, 2005

My shameful secret.



Lesson 10: There's No Room for Drama on a Deadline
Team Kevin, or Nora more specifically, crashed and burned over the “missing” pattern piece. Nora spent an inordinate amount of time searching and fretting. Consequently, her team was handicapped because she was absent. In the time that was spent searching for the missing pattern, placing blame, and being hysterical, any number of solutions could have been achieved, including making a replacement pattern piece. Furthermore, construction of the design could have been simply fudged by working with what was on hand and using fabric to drape in the missing section. It was not essential that the pattern piece be found or that retribution be sought for a speculative thief. What was essential is that the design be finished in time for the runway judging.


Yes, I absolutely find myself absolutely enthralled by Project Runway! It’s embarrassing but, true!

Watching it, reminds me of the days when I was in art school - I don’t remember people being as cutthroat but, I do remember a bit of drama. Being an illustration major, I can’t say I spent much time at the midtown campus of my alma mater where the show is shot. The closest thing I got to the fashion department was taking a fashion illustration with a then unknown Steven Meisel who gave me an “A” of all things - but, I think there was something more to that “A” than drawing ability.

Still, the show is just fascinating and fun. They had some kind of marathon on this weekend and I’ll be darned if I didn’t have the thing on in the background for much of the day - oh, the shame!

No comments: